Jeff Coffin Biography
Jeff Coffin is a saxophonist, composer, and educator. As a member of Bela Fleck & the Flecktones, he has won the Grammy Awards 3 times, with whom he performed from 1997 until 2010.
In July 2008, Coffin began touring with Dave Matthews Band and joined the group in 2009 following the death of founding member LeRoi Moore. He is also the leader of his group Jeff Coffin & the Mu’tet.
Jeff Coffin Age
Coffin was born on August 5, 1965. He is aged 53 years as of 2018.
Jeff Coffin Family
Jeff was born in Massachusetts and raised in Dexter, Maine. He began playing alto sax in fifth grade under the tutelage of Arthur Lagasse, the band director for the district. In the 1980s, he attended the Summer Youth Music School at the University of New Hampshire for 2 summers, which he credits for his love for mentoring young musicians.
Coffin graduated from Spaulding High School and attended the University of New Hampshire, where he attended the Summer Youth Music School. He then went on to study at the University of North Texas in 1990 and graduated with a degree in Music Education.
Jeff Coffin Awards And Honors
- Best Contemporary Jazz Album, Outbound (2001)
- Best Contemporary Jazz Album, The Hidden Land (2007)
- Best Pop Instrumental Album, Jingle All the Way (2009)
Jeff Coffin Instruments
Jeff plays the saxophone
Jeff Coffin Vanderbilt
He is currently on the faculty of the Blair School of Music at Vanderbilt University.
Jeff Coffin Jazz Kitchen
2019 was welcomed with style with some great original music at The Indianapolis Jazz Kitchen. (January 5th, 2019). Joins were; saxophonist Jeff Coffin (Dave Matthews Band/Bela Fleck & the Flecktones), drummer Keith Carlock (Steely Dan/John Mayer), guitarist Nir Felder (Esperanza Spalding/Terri Lynn Carrington), & bassist Viktor Krauss (Bill Frisell/Lyle Lovett).
Jeff Coffin Career
In 1997, he became a member of Béla Fleck and therefore the Flecktones. Due to intensive itinerant needs, he left the Flecktones in 2008. During the constant year, he joined the Dave Matthews Band for his or her summer tour when saxist LeRoi Moore was hurt in AN all-terrain vehicle accident. Although he had supposed to be within the band quickly, he became a permanent replacement once Moore died from his injuries. He continuing Moore’s work on the band’s album massive spirits & the GrooGrux King.
Since the late Nineties Coffin has been recording and itinerant together with his band, The Mu’tet. He has discharged a number of the band’s albums on his label, Ear Up Records. Taking the name from the word ‘mutation’, the Mu’tet reflects Coffin’s philosophy that music should amendment and change so as to evolve. Coffin has conjointly worked with Jeff Babko, Vinnie Colaiuta, everybody Orchestra, R. Prasanna, Jonathan Scales, J. D. Souther, and Boyd Tinsley.
Jeff Coffin Clinic
Coffin has given over 300 music clinics at schools, universities, and different colleges each across the country and internationally.
Jeff Coffin Discography | Music
As leader or co-leader
- Outside the Lines (Artifex, 1997)
- Commonality (Compass, 1999)
- Go-Round (Compass, 2001)
- Bloom (Compass, 2005)
- Arc of the Circle (2006) with Charlie Peacock
- Mutopia (Compass, 2008)
- Duet (Compass, 2011) with Jeff Sipe
- Live! (Ear Up, 2011)
- Side Up (Ear Up, 2014)
- Inside of the Outside (2015)
- Sometimes Springtime (2016)
- Next Time Yellow (2017)
With Béla Fleck and the Flecktones
- Left of Cool (1998)
- Greatest Hits of the 20th Century (1999)
- Outbound (2000)
- Live at the Quick (2002)
- Little Worlds (2003)
- The Hidden Land (2006)
- Jingle All the Way (2008)
With Dave Matthews Band
- The Best of What’s Around Vol. 1 (Encore CD) (2006)
- Live at Mile High Music Festival (2008)
- Live Trax 2008 (2008)
- Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King (2009)
- Live Trax Vol. 15 (2009)
- Europe 2009 (2009)
- Live Trax Vol. 19 (2010)
- Live in New York City (2010)
- Live at Wrigley Field (2011)
- Away from the World (2012)
- Come Tomorrow (2018)
With Jeff Babko & Vinnie Colaiuta
- Mondo Trio (2007)
With Jon Foreman
- Fall (2007)
- Winter (2008)
- The Wonderlands: Darkness (2015)
- The Wonderlands: Dawn (2015)
With Umphrey’s McGee
- Mantis (2009)
- Death by Stereo (2011)
- Be the Change, R. Prasanna (2004)
- Plot/Scheme, Jonathan Scales (2008)
- Chunked, The Triodes (2009)
- Harlem River Blues, Justin Townes Earle (2010)
- Character Farm and Other Short Stories, Jonathan Scales (2011)
- A Natural History, J. D. Souther (2011)
- Mountains of Sorrow, Rivers of Song, Amos Lee (2013)
- Melophobia, Cage the Elephant (2013)
- Tenderness, J. D. Souther (2015)
- Kind of New, Ingrid Jensen, Jason Miles (2015)
- Family Dinner Vol. 2, Snarky Puppy (2016)
- Sky Trails, David Crosby (2017)
Jeff Coffin Photography | Images | Pictures | PhotosJeff Coffin